Tidepieces - Black Rock Harbor Light / Fayerweather Island Lighthouse Tide Clock - NAVY
- Exclusively available only from Mellow Monkey
- Handcrafted by local artisan, Alan Winick, this tide clock has the image of Black Rock Harbor Light on Fayerweather Island in Bridgeport, along with the harbor and Long Island Sound tide that rises and falls as the actual tide in your location goes from high to low.
- Black Rock Harbor is sheltered by 7-acre Fayerweather Island, making it the ideal place for a lighthouse to mark the harbor entrance. The island was originally much larger and used mainly for the pasturing of sheep.
- The federal government purchased the island from Daniel Fayerweather for $200 in 1807.
- The first Fayerweather Island Lighthouse was built in 1808, which was destroyed in a hurricane in 1821.
- A new tower was constructed in 1823 proclaimed by the builder to have been "built to withstand the storm of ages."
- A fifth order Fresnel lens was installed in the mid 1850s.
- The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1933 and replaced by two offshore lights.
- Over the following years, the lighthouse became victim to neglect and vandalism.
- In 1993, a group of local artists came together to donate paintings to raise funds for a lighthouse fund.
- The lighthouse was restored in 1998 and subsequently had solar panels installed to illuminate it.
- The lighthouse and land around it took a major hit in Hurricane Sandy, October 2012. Federal money was appropriated for rock armoring on the shore to protect the lighthouse, as well as to install a new steel door.
- Bottom of clock provides the traditional tide clock showing current tide. Dial provides hours to high tide and to low tide.
- Top of clock is what makes this time piece truly unique. A mechanically animated display of the waterline of Long Island Sound rises and falls as the tide goes from high to low.
- Clock measures 11-in H x 6-1/2-in W x 2-in D
- Can be displayed free standing or on a wall.
- Construction: Wood frame, plastic, paper and metal housing.
- Uses one AA battery - not included.
- Ships in a gift box with instructions.
- Artisan limited warranty: 3 years
- See the complete Tidepieces Collection
As seen in: