Tidepieces by Alan Winick - Five Mile Point Lighthouse / Old New Haven Harbor Lighthouse Tide Clock - Navy
- Exclusively available only from Mellow Monkey
- Handcrafted by local artisan, Alan Winick, this tide clock has the image of the Five Mile Point Lighthouse, also know as Old New Haven Harbor Lighthouse at Lighthouse Point beach in New Haven, along with the harbor and Long Island Sound tide that rises and falls as the actual tide in your location goes from high to low.
- Located at the entrance to New Haven Harbor, the beacon's name derives from its proximity to Downtown New Haven, about five miles (8 km) away.
- The original lighthouse consisted of a 30-foot (9.1 m) octagonal wooden tower built in 1805 by Abisha Woodward.
- In 1847, a new 80-foot (24 m) octagonal tower was constructed by Marcus Bassett with East Haven brownstone. This new beacon was illuminated by 12 lamps with reflectors which were positioned 97 feet (30 m) above sea level. Also constructed at this time was a two-and-one-half story brick house which supplanted the previous, deteriorating keeper's dwelling.
- A fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the lamps in 1855 and a fog bell was added in the 1860s.
- The Five Mile Point Light was deactivated in 1877 when the nearby Southwest Ledge Light was completed.
- Currently, the lighthouse is contained within Lighthouse Point Park and, along with the keeper's house, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
- This lighthouse is also directly adjacent to the Lighthouse Point Carousel (currently active and in use). This carousel was built around 1905 and is one of a shrinking number of early 20th-century carousels left in the state, featuring the carvings of Charles Looff and Charles Carmel.
- Bottom of clock provides the traditional tide clock showing current tide. Dial provides hours to high tide and to low tide.
- Top of clock is what makes this time piece truly unique. A mechanically animated display of the waterline of Long Island Sound rises and falls as the tide goes from high to low.
- Clock measures 11-in H x 6-1/2-in W x 2-in D
- Can be displayed free standing or on a wall.
- Construction: Wood frame, plastic, paper and metal housing.
- Uses one AA battery - not included.
- Ships in a gift box with instructions.
- Artisan limited warranty: 3 years
- See the complete Tidepieces Collection
As seen in: