Fayerweather Island Lighthouse - Coaster
- Black Rock Harbor is sheltered by 7-acre Fayerweather Island, making it the ideal place for a lighthouse to mark the harbor entrance. The island was originally much larger and used mainly for the pasturing of sheep.
- The federal government purchased the island from Daniel Fayerweather for $200 in 1807.
- The first Fayerweather Island Lighthouse was built in 1808, which was destroyed in a hurricane in 1821.
- A new tower was constructed in 1823 proclaimed by the builder to have been "built to withstand the storm of ages."
- A fifth order Fresnel lens was installed in the mid 1850s.
- The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1933 and replaced by two offshore lights.
- Over the following years, the lighthouse became victim to neglect and vandalism.
- In 1993, a group of local artists came together to donate paintings to raise funds for a lighthouse fund.
- The lighthouse was restored in 1998 and subsequently had solar panels installed to illuminate it.
- The lighthouse and land around it took a major hit in Hurricane Sandy, October 2012. Federal money was appropriated for rock armoring on the shore to protect the lighthouse, as well as to install a new steel door.
- The 4.25” x 4.25” glossy map of Blackrock, Connecticut map single ceramic coaster.
- Corked back